Friday, January 6, 2017

Mis·con·cep·tion


When I was at bible school, back in the fall of 2015, I read the book True Discipleship by John Koessler, and while I was making my way through the first couple of chapters I began to think about a common misconception that I have witnessed in believers. It points to their lack of understanding that christ has freed us from sin’s domination, but not from its influence. The drift I observe seems to start's with confusion when circumstances get hard and sin becomes a temptation. It is then that these people retaliate and accuse the Christian belief as untrustworthy because of the idea that- as believers, we are freed from the clutches of our sin nature. That, and the conclusion that God is a God of love, compassion, and grace, therefore our struggles will be "narrow" and the way "good/easy". Where is this idea being sold from?


My belief is that our life on earth as followers of Christ [should] be a life that is full of love, delight, serenity, hope, gratification, and sanctification! However, in John 16:33, Jesus clearly tells us that “In the world, you will have trials and tribulation.” Then, he goes on to say “But take heart; I have overcome the world.” Our walk with Christ is not meant to be easy, but it is worth the effort. Philippians 3:8-10 “Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus as my Lord. For His sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I might gain Christ, and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith--- that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death”

There was a certain part that really stuck out to me as I read through a section in the book titled "The Struggle Continues." The topic struck me because of the many people that I have talked to that begin to doubt Gods love, and even His existence because the struggles in their life after confessing Christ do not become easier, but rather more difficult. My understanding and belief is that at the point of repentance from our old self, and adoption into the family of Christ, it is then that we become eternal warriors, fighting sin in ourselves. Ephesians 6:10-18 “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm....” 

The war has just begun.


Rosanna ♥

2 comments:

  1. Well, it's not eternal...just until we die! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts always speak to me. Thanks for them. Hope all is well. Don 216..

    ReplyDelete